Friday, June 15, 2012

MYER's Stocktake Sale + Cookbook Splurge

So, today my sister sent me into MYER to pick up some perfume she wanted because it was sold out back home.

I trundled into Chadstone and wandered into MYER, it took me around 10 minutes to find (I'm not used to such a big cosmetics/perfumes section - I had to ask the MYER assistant to point me in the right direction.)
She wanted me to pick up two bottles of MOR, the Lychee flower and she'd decided that she'd buy my the Blood Orange flavour for my birthday (so she could justify buying both haha). Well, I sampled them both and I while I wasn't very impressed with the Blood Orange (it had a soapy undertone that was a bit icky), the Lychee was glorious!

Very sweet but light, without being sickly or cloying and boy was it fruity! It also lasted ages (I went at 11am and it was still there late into the evening). Edit: it was still there the next morning!

Man, that stuff is glorious, I couldn't stop sniffing it. I was like an addict huffing paint, I just couldn't help but sit with my wrist shoved under my nose taking deep sniffs of this stuff all afternoon!

I also couldn't help but go into the $5 book store near the cinema where I bought four cookbooks including 'Cooking for two" edited by Gina Steer, 'Soups' from the Woman's Weekly and two other small volumes with soup and one-pot recipes.
While I can cook reasonably well, cooking for less than 5-6 people remains a big challenge for me and while freezing food is an option, I do want to learn how to cook small amounts for next year when I move in with my partner. I also want to start my recipe book collection off and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

There is one book that I covet; Macquarie Dictionary of Cookery. My mother has a copy and it is like the bible of cooking. Seriously. Unfortunately it only ran two editions, one in 1949 and a reprint in 1991. I found a copy of the reprint on ebay which I promptly bid on ($15 with $13.80 postage - it's a massive book).
I am so excited for this book, like you wouldn't believe. It will become an heirloom I swear. I would say that about my mother's copy but it's so well loved that it wouldn't last for more than another generation or so before it completely falls apart. That being said, I will still steal it and copy all of my mother's revisions into my copy.

Eeeeh! So excited to go home, less than a week now!

No comments:

Post a Comment