Monday, June 18, 2012

TSSSS!

Gosh, weightlifters make funny noises don't they?
I'm definitely not an exception to the rule.

I am a culprit for the loud 'TSS!' or 'TSAH!' at the end of my snatch/clean/squat. Yep, I am that person.

But I have a theory as to why I (and many others) do this.

When I lift, I hold my breath. This is to help me keep my core rigid by increasing my intra-abdominal pressure. This is part of the Valsalva manoeuvre, a technique where you expire against a closed glottis.

So I'm doing all of this hard work holing my breath, when I'm finishing my squat/clean/snatch, I will exhale but in such a way that I don't reduce my intra-abdominal pressure and compromise my stability.

Part of my theory is also that it helps prevent the drop in blood pressure that can occur when using the valsalva maneuvre which would cause fainting however, I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

Overall I think that it is a part of lifting that happens almost without thinking but it helps to boost the confidence of the lifter and being such a psychologically demanding sport, whatever you do to increase your self-confidence, whatever routine or ritual you have, keep doing it!

So don't mock the noisy ones, (unless you both know you're joking) it's beneficial to their lifting!

Seen Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment