Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cloud Soufflés and Chocolate Disasters

Being alone in the house at lunchtime, I looked for things to make my lunch with. Nothing apart from eggs.
Soufflé it is then!
So I found a recipe that a friend had posted earlier in the year that I wanted to try; Cloud Soufflé.
 
Cloud Soufflé Recipe
Ingredients 
2 eggs, separated
Salt
2 chunks of butter
Grated cheddar
butter for my ramekins.
 
I had four eggs so I went to separate two of them. One of my usual methods is to carefully crack them into a glass and pick up the egg yolks with my fingers (I know, most of you are probably shaking your heads right now). These yolks obviously had the gift of precognition and broke as soon as the eggs cracked.

I set these two failed attempts aside and separated the last two eggs using the tilt method (tipping the yolk back and forth between egg shell halves until all of the white has fallen into the bowl. One of the yolks still broke but I was able to scoop it away before it did any lasting damage.
There were a few wisps of yolk in my whites but it whipped up fine.

Ok so I followed the recipe to a T except I used butter instead of cream as I didn't have any and omitted the pepper.

I'm a little sad to say that it wasn't quite as good as I expected but it certainly looked impressive.

The egg of top was a little rubbery rather than crisp as I expected, probably because it's pure protein rather than regular souffle which has flour in it (starches crisp up better).

The egg yolk was runny but some of it had fallen to the bottom and cooked, making the ramekin hard to clean and the cheese didn't melt.

But it's definitely a good way to get your toes wet in the sea of souffle making, it's a lot simpler and faster with much less mess. Just remember that it may not taste the same.

Now. My two broken eggs. What to do? Well, I've often been told that you can't whip whole eggs to peaks. I figured that I may as well try to see whether that is true.
After whipping for a good twenty minutes, this was the result:

Mostly whipped... Soft peaks formed :)


I poured it into the ramekin and put it in the oven for around 10 minutes, in hindsight, 5 probably would have been enough.

While it looked good, it was overcooked and was rubbery :/

But at least I sort of proved that you can whip whole eggs, I wouldn't go out of my way to but if accidents occur, you can do it :)





No comments:

Post a Comment