Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Quickie: Prawn Stirfry

I love stir-fry, it's cheap easy and very, very quick.

At College, Saturday night dinners arent'r provided so I have to make something up for myself.
On the way home from lifting I picked up a packet of shiitakes ($2.80) and a handful of snow peas ($0.20) from the Asian grocer and 150g of raw Thai prawns (~$2.50) and a large clove of garlic (10c) from Coles.

When I do stirfry, I sort of vaguely think about what I want to go in it and then I just chuck it in, I don't usually measure things so any measurements are an estimation.

The kitchen provided is a converted commercial kitchen and it has most of the things that I need. No wok though, makes me a big sad but I make do with what I have.

I set the frying pan to a high heat, wipe and de-stem the shiitakes, wash and de-string the peas and peel/dice the garlic. Once the pan is hot, I fried half the garlic in about a Tbs of oil until it started to brown and then added the mushrooms and turned them over a few times with a spatula. I poured in about 1/2 cup of shao hsing wine and a Tbs of oyster sauce and let it reduce down a bit. (I would have liked to add a tsp of sugar but there wasn't any :/)

While it was reducing I heated up another frying pan and chucked in some garlic and about a tsp of oil. I then threw in the prawns and cooked them until they went pink. I added them to the mushrooms and threw in the peas, tossing them around for a few moments before moving it all to a bowl.
I was rather lazy and not feeling like carbs so I ate them without rice.

Ta-da! Apologies for the rubbish quality, I had to use my phone to take the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment